Tuesday 12 May 2009

^#BANDE À PART+|

I finally watched Bande À Part the other night. No idea why I waited this long to see it. It wasn't in my recently bought Godard box though, unfortunately. But this film is all kinds of amazing. Anna Karina has this unusual kind of beauty, she's not extremely pretty, but just enough that it doesn't become intimidating. She has such great eyes. She definitely was made to end up on film. Of course the scene where they run through the Louvre for me is one of the highlights as it has been remade in my favourite film The Dreamers. So just for that it was about time I saw the original in full. But already the opening sequence where you see close-ups of the faces of the three main characters edited together left me with my mouth wide open. And then there's the minute of silence, the über cool dance scene and the part where Anna Karina can be heard singing. And as always I love Godard's use of voice-over.
Here's a clip of that infamous dance scene that inspired other dance sequences such as the one from Quentin Tarantino's Pulp Fiction.

No comments: