Monday 21 September 2009

_$DIRTY PROJECTORS + TuNe-YaRdS @ MELKWEG^'

Before Dirty Projectors appeared on the stage the stage as well as the crowd belonged to TuNe-YaRdS. I think this is the first time I went to a show where the crowd actually got really excited during the supporting act and didn't hold back. I even felt they were more enthusiastic during TuNe-YaRdS than Dirty projectors but maybe that was just me. They're a two man band, but the focus is mainly on singer Merrill Garbus who is actually TuNe-YaRdS. I had heard her song Sunlight before which is a nice one but didn't blow me away. I haven't listened to the album yet, but I definitely will especially after last night. Though something tells me their music is much better and fun when being played live than on the record. Merrill is such a force of power. She owned the stage like this crazy woman. The crowd seemed to love it. The responses were extremely enthusiastic and Merrill even spoke of us as her dream crowd. She's amazing live. Her voice so powerful. If I didn't like Dirty Projectors' songs more I would say that TuNe-YaRdS upstaged them performing with so much energy, even though Dirty Projectors were still top quality. A great thing was that it didn't take that long at all before the Projectors came on stage after TuNe-YaRdS. Most of the time it takes quite a long time before the main act comes on after the supporting act, but Dirty projectors appeared very quickly performing the beautiful Two Doves as the first song of their set. It seemed to me though that their set was rather short or perhaps I was just enjoying it too much that I completely lost sense of time. I love Dave Longstreth's voice and on the albums the three girls accompany him beautifully and live the addition of the girls' voices works even better. Their drummer Brian McComber was amazing as well and Amber Coffman looked very pretty as did the two other girls. The best surprise came at the very end when they all of a sudden started to play Knotty Pine. I had searched for some setlists from previous concerts of them this year but I didn't see Knotty Pine being on any of them and because it's a song recorded for the album Dark Was The Night, which is a collaboration album featuring songs by various artists, I didn't expect them to play it. So when they started playing the song I filled up with excitement. It took a while before it actually sunk in that they were playing the song. It was a real surprise. It's one of my favourite songs by the band and the one which actually got me into them. I had heard about them before but they seemed a difficult band to get into. Of course when Bitte Orca received so many great reviews, many people saying that it's the best album of 2009 together with Animal Collective's Merriweather Post Pavillon, I couldn't ignore them any longer and started really listening to them and fell in love. Another song I really love is Rise Above and they played it. A shame they didn't play What I See and I don't remember them playing No Intention either, but I could be wrong about that :) Sometimes it happens that I don't really recognize songs any more at concerts and forget which one is what exactly. It happened during WOMEN :D

Here are two videos from YouTube of both Dirty Projectors and TuNe-YaRdS

Dirty Projectors


TuNe-YaRdS


Thanks to jacquestourneur

Update!

Even more Dirty Projectors videos including the Knotty Pine performance!!!

Knotty Pine


Stillness Is The Move


Temecula Sunrise


Remade Horizon

Thanks to Fransle38

No comments: