Wednesday 3 March 2010

]_A SOFT PACK>%

Chat Roulette is still ruining my life a little, don't ask me how I've been able to get myself to Paradiso last night to see The Soft Pack, but I did. 'Cause I was chatting to this girl who turned out to live in Den Haag (The Hague) and we spoke for quite a long time and when we ended out conversation I only had 15 minutes left to get ready before I had to go out to catch my train on time. It was a pretty quiet gig, that's how it felt. I walked in some minutes after ten and the band was still doing their soundcheck. Even though it seemed pretty crowded, at the front there was hardly anyone standing, so I didn't even have to go through great lengths to get there. I was a bit dissapointed about this, 'cause I knew this meant most of the people who showed up were there more to hang out with friends drinking a beer while checking out this band they may or may not know. Seemed there weren't that many passionate fans or at least people who mainly go for the music and watch this band perform live. So I could already foresee that this wasn't going to be Japandroids or Good Shoes kind of cool even though The Soft Pack's tunes are very catchy and could make for a crowd going wild, but instead the crowd were a rather soft pack, how appropriate. I did dance a bit, especially to my favourite songs such as Answer To Yourself. Most of the dancing happened either on my side (I was standing at the right) or on the left side, not that much in the middle. Seemed a lot of people had not really checked out the album properly which became clear when they played Mexico. I really enjoy that song, but it appeared to me I was the only one who knew it together with another girl dancing to my left. Hockey, this other band played a gig before The Soft Pack and I believe some of the members walked into the crowd at some point to have a look, standing in front of me. They were quite tall and wore hats so they kind of blocked my view a bit :( Hockey is pretty cool too, but way more poppy. They're all fun and don't sound too serious so I don't expect that much from them in the near future. Having listened to The Soft Pack's album a lot more these last couple of days I'm surprised they aren't more popular, 'cause compared to Hockey I would predict a very bright future for these guys, they're actually good and sound quite refreshing. They should have gained buzz in a The Drums kind of way. Last night was alright, nothing spectacular but I enjoyed myself. I don't think I'll go to another gig before March 20th, one of the most important dates this year as I'll be seeing Yeasayer that night! Plus it's my mum's birthday, but mainly it's about Yeasayer ;) Sorry mum

No comments: