Monday 22 December 2008

&@EMIR KUSTURICA"}

Wow I had no idea Emir Kusturica was such a comedic genius. Yesterday I saw my first Kusturica film. I had heard about him, but apparently had no clue what his movies were like. At all. Black Cat, White Cat (Crna Macka, Beli Macor) was on Tv last night so I decided to stay at my parents' 'cause I don't have TV myself and I felt I could not miss out on this opportunity to see a Kusturica film. It was about time that I saw one. I absoultely loved it. This entire film is hilarious. I kept thinking throughout the film, how is someone able to write all this?! The screenplay for it must have been crazy. Just to imagine all those scenes, all those characters. And then to direct it with so many people present, so many things happening at the same time. Must have been a very tough job, but Kusturica has managed to somehow do it all. Another thought I kept having was how the guy who played the son, Zare, would have looked so well in a black and white film. He just has that look of these characters in classic films. That boyish-ness you find in characters from films like Les Quatre Cents Coups or Ladri Di Biciclette. Strange that the actor, Florijan Ajdini, hasn't made a film after this one which also was his debut. At times also the mise-en-scène reminded me of a Fellini movie. Anyway, I'm happy I finally got the chance to see a Kusturica film. Definitely want to see more.

No comments: