Monday 15 December 2008

_(A GUIDE TO RECOGNIZING YOUR SAINTS + BORN RUFFIANS AND THOM YORKE;]




Some days ago I was in this book shop where they sell DVD's for like 5 to 7 euros so I couldn't resist buying some. One of them being Fur which I saw some days ago and I very much enjoyed. Critics weren't too crazy about it, perhaps of the fact that it's an imaginary portrait of photographer Diane Arbus rather than a real bio-pic. But I liked it, a lot actually, and I was reminded again of how great Robert Downey Jr. is. He is so charismatic, lights up the screen with his presence and charm. His eyes just have this boyish spark. There's a light there. I like that. Well, he also plays in one of the other films I bought and which impressed me so much. I have to say that sometimes I'm surprised by myself as I feel I keep buying really nice films even when I take a risk because most of the time I know so little about these films. It's like with some films I want to see badly, but that desire only based on a movie still. And I have to say that lately, as I have been placing some stills here a lot as well when talking about a certain film, I really come to like those stills, those screenshots, as they just bring this small part of the film, this split second to the forefront. When seeing a film for the first time there's so much you don't see. When you freeze it, so much is revealed. I find love in so many details which I only really realize when putting the film on pause and just look at a movie still. It reminds you that films are actually made out of photographs. Every second of a film is one of them. Anyway, A Guide To Recognizing Your Saints. I just saw that one. And it's goooood. It's nice. With more heart than I expected. It's funny as well. A bit raw, bold. But colourful. Very emotional. It's a blend, a mix. And it feels so warm as well as you can feel the rush of the city, either by day, with the sun, or by night with the city lights. The young cast is a real delight to watch. It must be real cool to be able to be part of such a film at that young age playing characters who explore, are in that period in their lives still full of dreams and hope to one day get out of this town and who aim for something higher. Melonie Diaz, remember her. She's the indie queen. Has played in a lot of small films, but also some bigger ones like Be Kind Rewind. She's a real fire bulb. She got it. I can imagine millions of girls thinking, I want to be that girl, when they see her. She's that kind. But the film is really nice and I can see it being loved by all kinds of people. It is very layered. So much to enjoy. Dito Montiel writer of the film's screenplay and the director, who first published the book, a memoir, of which the film is an adapatation, so he's a real author as well, has done a really good job directing this young cast. Talented. Dianne Wiest playing Dito's mother, does so really well, even though having only little screentime. You can see the years of experience in her performance. Same for Chazz Palminteri. Who also impressed me was Channing Tatum whom I had never seen in a film before, but I know he was doing films like Step-Up so never had any real interest in following his career. But this film definitely is a turn for him, breakthrough. So see it if you want. It's really wonderful.


On music, Born Ruffians, they're really cool. I checked them out many times before coming across their name many times, but concluded I didn't like them. Once I did a reboot and lost all my music I thought let's listen to one of their albums. So I listened to Red, Yellow & Blue and it's fun. Barnacle Goose so far definitely is my favourite. So much spunk. And of course they're from Canada.


Also, Thom Yorke The Eraser. Had it in my playlist but never paid too much attention to it. These last couple of days I have listened to it many times. Such a gem. I have to admit I like this much more than any Radiohead album I've listened to so far. And I really do like Radiohead.

No comments: