Saturday 20 September 2008

>:C'EST BON#!

So last night I witnessed Bon Iver gracing the stage of Paradiso, Justin Vernon accompanied by a band consisting of three. Supporting act were the Bowerdbirds who were pretty cool, though they didn't sound as good as on their record. Especially compared to Bon Iver's set they sounded a bit hollow and empty, whereas Bon Iver's sound was so complete and really felt to fill up every corner of the venue. Bon Iver which started with Justin Vernon who locked himself up in a cabin somehere in Wisconsin and recorded Bon Iver's debut, insisted that they are now a real band and no longer just Vernon's project. And by the sound of it, he's right. The band does really add something to the songs, resulting in such a great energy live that at times I could have even danced to some of the songs, which can be said to be far from dance tunes. Opener, just as on the album For Emma, Forever Ago was Flume. They were immediately off to a good start and proofed that adding a full band was not a bad idea at all, extending the songs with long instrumental parts which aren't that long as on the album. Especially Creature Fear turned out to be a real treat. What I like most about hearing songs played live is that I always get surprised. I know the songs, but when standing there and a song starts to build I suddenly remember that now comes a really great part and my excitement kicks up to a complete new level. Also playing a new track called Blood Bank, a really nice tune which revealed a bit of the direction Bon Iver seems to take next, and a cover sung by a very young guy Mike, who probably has not yet even entered his twenties, one of the members of the band. Great voice, though Vernon's is the one that really strikes a chord. His voice is drenched with pure emotion and sounds as good live as on the record, if not better. They ended their set by bringing back the Bowerbird to the stage and performed the song Lover's For Fools by Sarah Siskind, partly acapella that is, bringing something to the stage that was so sincere and pure I almost felt like an intruder. Overall a very warm and atmospheric concert, making for a lovely evening. My love for Bon Iver was already huge, but now has reached even greater heights. See them if you can!

I didn't take any pictures. Reason 1, because some will probably pop up on the net soon, 2, because I was enjoying the songs too much and didn't want to distract myself by taking pictures, 3, because I do feel kind of strange taking pictures of these people and I know the only reason for taking them would be to show them as proof that I really went to see them. Pictures from concerts do look incredibly cool though, there's always interesting lighting. So maybe if I had a professional camera I would have taken some, I'm sure I would have taken some actually. Yup, I really REALLY want one!

Someone made a video of last night. Justin Vernon performing what is probably my favourite song by them Re: Stacks all by himself, enjoy enjoy:



Some people did take pictures, here are some of them!

Bowerbirds:





Bon Iver:









Bon Iver + Bowerbirds:

No comments: