Monday 20 April 2009

&*SUNSET RUBDOWN+}

I didn't plan to go see Sunset Rubdown, so I basically went on a whim. Just got home from seeing them perform in the Patronaat, which is like 2 minutes away from my place on bike. I thought the price to see them was 20 euros, don't know how I got that thought burned into my mind, 'cause it turned out to be 12,50, that's what I found out when arriving home around 8pm. Because recently I kept feeling bad for not going to see a band which I like, even if just a little, when I was more than able to go and when it wasnt that expensive. So finding out it was only 12,50 I gathered around all the coins that I could find 'cause I figured you might had to pay in cash which is the case at the Paradiso in Amsterdam. Luckily for me I had 12,50 euros in coins :) So I jumped on my bike and got to watch them perform live. It was soooo good. Much better than I expected. I mean, I expected it to be good, but they're not one of my favourite bands, I have to say I have hardly listened to their albums and for some reason so far their songs havent really stuck. I'm still waiting for that one song to hit me and which will make me an instant fan. Maybe it's because most of their songs are pretty long and at times one song seems to contain multiple songs, that's how layered their songs are. Sunset Rubdown, if you didn't know, is a band formed by Spencer Krug who is one of the two lead singers of Wolf Parade(!). Dan Boeckner, the other singer also has his own band together with his wife called Handsome Furs and I have to say of the two I always preferred Handsome Furs over Sunset Rubdown. But having seen Sunset Rubdown I have to say Sunset comes closest to Wolf Parade, more than Handsome Furs does. The energy is the same and Spencer's vocals are so strong. It doesn't matter what he sings or whatever sound he makes it all sounds amazing. So I had a really good time. However, I do get annoyed still by people around me who just dont move. With a band like Wolf Parade or Foals I don't need any help, 'cause I know their songs inside out and I can go completely wild on my own. When the first chords start I immediately recognize the song and I'll explode. But with a band like Sunset Rubdown of whom I don't know all the songs, I could use a little help now and then just to get me a bit more in the mood. There was only this one guy in front of me who moved, but apart from him I was surrounded by people who just stood watching. On the other side I saw some people moving a bit more. Maybe it would have been better to stand there. But anyway, I was surprised and I had a good time. I'm glad I went 'cause when I arrived home this evening around 8 I already started to feel bad for not going. So I'm more than happy I went. So now there's nothing to regret and I don't have to wonder what it would have been like if I went, 'cause I know. Still, Foals, Bloc Party, Wolf Parade again, Late Of The Pier, would love to see those bands live!

No comments: