Friday 14 November 2008

&_ACROSS THE UNIVERSE§!




When I first saw its trailer it immediately skyrocketed to the top of my must-see list. Now, finally, after buying the DVD on eBay and having listened to the soundtrack many times already, I saw the accompanying visuals. For everyone who doesn't know, Across The Universe is a film which story derives from songs by The Beatles, those songs being featured in the film thus with the characters singing. So yes, it's a musical, but a much cooler one because The Beatles are cool and I love their songs and the actors who sing them in this film do so very well. I love Jim Sturgess's voice who plays Jude (of course) and Evan Rachel Wood who plays (again, of course) Lucy. People should stop bashing her for having dated Marilyn Manson and trying to copy Dita Von Teese, the girl's very talented which should be the focus, not her personal life. It has to be said that the film does lose momentum, but overall it's really fun. It's one of those films that make you think, wow, I wish I could have been part of this film, filming it seemed to have been such a nice experience. Julie Taymor who did Frida and Titus makes for a visual feast with great looking colourful sets. Sometimes the film looks more like an art installation. It's a really cool film and what's very important is that the two main characters have chemistry and I think they really do. They make for a very believable couple and at the end I found myself really caring for them, which was a bit cheesy of me. :)

One of my favourite scenes takes place at a bowling alley. Love it when they jump and run near the end:

No comments: