Friday 14 November 2008

)#BOY A"{

Just saw it. It's very strong, and really gets under your skin. I like this type of film which really makes you feel uncomfortable. It's a very solid drama with a very impressive performance by Andrew Garfield who plays the film's main character. You so come to feel for him, it's all very affective and hits all the right notes. It must be tough taking on a topic like this, it's not something I myself would like to tell, or at least I don't think so, wouldn't be my first choice. But John Crowley, the director, handles the film so well. It slowly sets up everything and at the end you really feel kind of trapped just like the main character. It even gave me some chills at certain moments. You really undergo the entire process with him. Again, Garfield is excellent. From small mannerisms, to the sound of his voice, he gets it all right. No doubt that he isn't the main character, which I know sounds pretty weird. But he really is. You could not tell who he is in real life, what he's like as a real person, the actor. He's so convincing in every aspect. It's one of the strongest performances I've seen so far this year. The character asked for it, yes, but Garfield really takes it on and nails it. Strange though that from only looking at that one picture of him standing at the beach with his hoodie on I already kind of made this whole idea up in my mind of how the film was going to be and how that guy in the picture looked like and would behave. The film just took all of that away from the second it started. My expectations crushed and replaced by a strong thoughtful film which really got to me. I was so immersed and now still it lingers on in my head. That's how a night out at the movies should be like. Tomorrow waking up early to go to this meeting where I will be informed about the calamity plan of Pathé Tuschinski in Amsterdam (a cinema) as I will be volunteering there from the end of next week, because of the IDFA (International Documentary Festival Amsterdam). I'm volunteering as an usher and hopefully get to see some documentaries as well! :p

No comments: