Tuesday 1 July 2008

>.GIVE IT A CHANCE: SANTOGOLD - SANTOGOLD!~

As with Robyn Santogold isn't exactly one of those artists I would immediately go crazy for. Though in contrast to Robyn Santogold is far less pop, instead mixing a lot of different styles reaching a sound which is similar to that of M.I.A. in its freshness. So far I happen to really like her album with its catchy beats and Santogold's different sounding voice. The album is out for a while already and got rave reviews, but at that time I didn't feel to hop along onto the band waggon and rather went along on my owm path discovering new music by myself even though looking at the album cover, which has a strame of gold coming out of Santi White's (her real name) mouth, got me pretty excited. Now some weeks later I thought I'd give it a try and I'm glad I did. I like artists who mix a lot of different styles and at times Santogold's debut reminds me of Nelly Furtado's Whoa Nelly! which is still Furtado's besta nd most daring work to date. It's a pity most people now only seem to know her from the Loose era. Hopefully Santogold keeps moving on in the same direction of her debut for her follow-ups.

No comments: